Monday, May 21, 2012

Recipe Reviews: Alton Brown's Southern Biscuits



I thought it would be good to have a space to post links to and notes on other people's recipes I try. I'll post links to the original recipes, notes on any tweaks or adjustments I made, and, where I can, pictures of the final result.

First up, Alton Brown's Southern Biscuit Recipe. This is probably my favorite biscuit recipe. I make it regularly and serve them with all sorts of toppings: butter, honey, homemade apple butter, homemade berry jam, etc. They even make great components to homemade chicken biscuits! Usually when I make them I make a double batch and I've made a few changes based on what I usually have in the house. So, when I make them, I use:

4 c unbleached AP flour
8 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
8 tbsp butter (cold!)
2 c skim milk or 2 c skim milk minus 2 tbsp, plus 2 tbsp white vinegar

I've also made these successfully with soy milk and a non-dairy butter substitute. They don't get as flaky and fluffy, but they are still tasty. 

Then I just follow Alton's instructions. I usually cut out the biscuits with a drinking glass and that works just fine if you don't have a biscuit cutter. They always come out delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment